On our last visit to Koh Lanta, we had the luxury of spending an afternoon in the community guesthouse, Sweet Life Lanta, where we learned how to make Tom Ka, a spicy and sour coconut soup, from the ever-charismatic chef Mon of @cookingwithmon.
Using herbs and spices straight from his garden, Mon shared his passion for cooking and the tantalising flavours of Thai cuisine. This comforting recipe is easy-to-make, and perfectly sized for a heartwarming meal for two.
- Slice lemongrass, coriander stem, spring onions, meat, vegetables
- Smash galangal, shallots, chilli to bring out the aroma
- Boil vegetables beforehand if they require a longer boiling time
1. Put 250ml coconut milk and 250ml water in wok on medium heat.
2. Add a pinch of salt together with lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, coriander root, shallots, and chillies.
3. Add meat of your choice.
4. Keep stirring before adding vegetable of your choice.
5. Add a pinch of salt and fish sauce to taste, and let soup boil before bringing it to a simmer.
6. Add coriander and spring onion leaves.
7. Taste the soup and add more chilli, sugar, salt, or fish sauce if desired.
8. Turn off fire, squeeze half a lime in to taste, serve and enjoy!
Enjoyed this recipe?We'd love to see your hearty bowl of Tom Ka!
Tag us at @kra.sanctuary on Instagram.